Calling all green changemakers who are inspiring others to create a sustainable world! Join us for the Ashoka x HSBC Green Changemakers Challenge 2023!
For the third year in a row, Ashoka and HSBC have joined forces to introduce the “Green Changemakers Challenge.” This international innovation challenge welcomes changemakers with innovative solutions that empower individuals to develop the necessary mindset and skills to contribute towards constructing a sustainable and fair world.
RELEVANT SUSTAINABLE GOALS
The challenges confronting our society and planet are intensifying, and we’re hurtling towards an ecological crisis. This is a challenge that demands a collective effort, and to drive actual change, we require more than just solution creators working in isolation. We need green changemakers who are inspiring those around them to take action, solutions that activate others, and a chance for everyone to participate as problem-solvers.
Ashoka X HSBC Green Changemakers Challenge 2023 Focus Area
The Green Changemakers Challenge is searching for green changemakers who are:
- Creating inclusive pathways for people to contribute: We’re seeking solutions that are bringing more people into the climate conversation, especially those who have historically been excluded. These solutions are equitable by design and increase diversity in the global community working on climate change.
- Turning data and information into stories that spark action: We’re seeking solutions that are making climate data and knowledge more accessible, and those that are telling inspiring stories to mobilize others to action.
- Creating structures of support for existing solutions: We’re seeking solutions that are built to support other solutions – by enabling the creation of new solutions; scaling existing solutions or making them more visible; and prioritizing the traditional knowledge of those communities who have always preserved our natural resources.
Prizes and Benefits
- Early Entry applicants (those who apply on or before March 29) will:
- Receive Ashoka’s feedback on how to improve their application before the Final entry deadline
- 3 participants from this group will be selected to receive a $1,500 prize each and will be featured on a social media post
- All eligible applicants will:
- Receive feedback from Ashoka and/or HSBC representatives
- Have a chance to connect with a community of green changemakers through this Challenge
- All semi-finalists (up to 60) will :
- Have a chance to refine their applications and incorporate feedback received in the screening phase
- Be celebrated as semi-finalists in the announcement communications
- All finalists (up to 25) will :
- Have a chance to be evaluated by a panel of expert judges and receive feedback.
- The challenge will have up to 12 winners, who will be selected to represent the diversity of applications received from the 3 focus areas and geographic regions. The Challenge Team will decide funding amounts awarded to each winner. Winning applications will
- Receive a minimum $15,000 and up to $25,000 cash prize
- Have the opportunity to participate in a learning journey & mentoring programme alongside HSBC and Ashoka team members, to help scale your solution.
- Your venture must be at an early- or mid- stage. Late-stage ventures (over 6 years of operations and/or profitability) will not be eligible for selection in this challenge
- you must be 18 or above at the time of submitting this application
- If your solution has not been implemented at scale; you must have a clear business plan and a minimum-viable solution (prototype, pilot, or another proof of concept)
- If your venture is not incorporated yet (as a non-profit, for-profit, or hybrid organization); you must be close to incorporation in the near future
- Entries will only be accepted in English (winners will be expected to engage in activities that require English proficiency)
- We are open to entries from the following 34 countries: Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Nigeria, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay, Vietnam
Additional terms :
- Only one application per individual/venture will be accepted
- Employees of HSBC, advertising agencies, promotion agencies and other service providers for this Challenge, their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, regardless of where they reside) are not eligible
- Partners or past HSBC challenge winners or initiatives that are already financed or supported by HSBC, its affiliates, subsidiaries or joint ventures are not eligible
- March 1: Challenge opens (During this time, participants may submit entries, edit, and resubmit until the entry deadline)
- March 29: Early Entry deadline
- April 26: Final entry deadline; and Early Entry winners announced
- April & May: Application screening and feedback
- May 31: Semifinalists announced
- May 31 to June 12: Application refining
- June 12 to July 5: Shortlisting
- July: Judges review and due diligence
- 1st week of August: Winner announcement/Event
- August to December: Funding and winner support